Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Siarra Williams
October 22, 2008
AP English III Period 11
Frederick Douglas Two-Page Literary Response

Frederick Douglas was an intelligent African American. He learned to read and write at a time when it was illegal. During the time when he was learning all of these skills, he realized that as a slave he was being treated unfairly. His newfound knowledge changed his opinion of the world around him. Throughout the passage Learning to Read and Write his attitude towards slavery is revealed.
Douglas’ mistress was a nice woman who began to teach him to read. “Mistress, in teaching me the alphabet, had given me the inch, and no precaution could prevent me from taking the ell.” (Douglas pg. 101) By Douglas’ mistress teaching him to read, he was a step above the rest. He knew more than most slaves and was geared up to continue his knowledge. There was no way that the mistress could just stop him from crossing over the threshold once the door was open and he was invited in. So he found a way to still learn after his mistress had a change of heart.
“As I writhed under it, I would at times feel that learning to read had been a curse rather than a blessing. It had given me a view of my wretched condition, without the remedy.” (Douglas pg. 103) After learning to read, Douglas was put into an awkward situation. He knew a lot more about slavery and learned how it was unethical yet he did not learn about how to abolish it. He was not too keen on reading anymore after realizing this. Douglas felt frustrated with learning so much about the situation going on but not having the answer to solve the situation. Reading was his rise and downfall. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place.
“I often found myself regretting my own existence, and wishing myself dead; and but for the hope of being free, I have no doubt but that I should have killed myself, or done something for which I should have been killed.” (Douglas pg. 103) After Douglas realized that he was stuck between a rock and a hard place, he regretted his life. He felt no need to live since he was stuck doing something he hated; and even though he knew the answer to get out of slavery, he did not know the way to get out. He felt hopeless, like there was no way to escape slavery; it was going to be a part of him for life. These realities began to boil over in his mind and he had thoughts of being dead and killing himself. These thoughts appeared because he felt defenseless like there was no solution to his predicament.
Douglas was a bright man. He acquired more knowledge than most slaves during his time. The best part about Douglas’ knowledge was that he used it to help other slaves. He created the paper the North Star as a guide for slaves to escape north. Although at that time he was unsure of what to do with his newfound awareness and he wanted to die, he stuck it out and devised a plan that would help other slaves in the same predicament.

No comments: