Friday, October 24, 2008

Sojourner Truth Discussion Questions

Siarra Williams
October 24, 2008
AP English III Period 11
Sojourner Truth: Aren’t I a Woman? Discussion Questions Page 424


Sojourner Truth is responding to the white man’s community and their unfair treatments of the minorities, i.e. the women and the color folks.

Sojourner Truth uses personal examples such as that of her working on the plantation and the treatments that she does not receive on a regular basis although she sees that this privilege is received by other women. These points help to establish ethos and help her message of the injustice that she and other women like her receive.

If I were in the audience when Sojourner Truth said her speech, I would have looked at her with a closed mind. It would have been an automatic thought the she was unintelligent due to the way I imagine her looking, like a slave with torn clothing. However after hearing her moving and inspiring speech, I would have been very wrong. The points that she made was that of an intelligent woman and the way she spoke already said to me that she didn’t care what I think. So I would have been wrong right off the bat.

No comments: